Preventive dental care is important throughout life, especially at a young age. By practicing good oral hygiene at home and scheduling regular checkups with DrJ your child can keep their smile bright and healthy for many years to come.
- Make sure you brush their teeth at least twice a day with a soft-bristled toothbrush until the age of 10. Use fluoride toothpaste to harden the tooth surfaces. Also be sure you brush the top surface of the tongue; this will remove any extra plaque-causing food particles and help keep their breath fresh!
- Make sure you clean between their teeth by flossing at least once a day.
- Make sure your child eats a balanced diet, and try to avoid frequent extra-sugary treats. Nutritious foods such as raw vegetables, plain yogurt, cheese, or fruit can help keep your child's smile healthy.
- Remember to schedule regular checkups with your child’s dentist every six months for a professional teeth cleaning.
- Ask your dentist about dental sealants that can prevent decay in children.
- If your child plays sports, be sure to ask your dentist about special mouthguards designed to protect your child’s smile.